Renovating a Home on a Budget
Whether you are buying your first home, are upgrading your current living space, or need to renovate a house on a budget, the cost of home remodeling and associated projects is usually the most important factor when considering which remodeling projects are feasible and a priority. Here are six easy ways to get the most bang for your house renovation buck this new year.
Six Ways to Remodel Efficiently
- Set and stick to a budget: While this may seem like a no-brainer, creating a budget and adhering to it can be especially difficult when tackling house renovation projects. Start by estimating what your costs will be. List what needs to be done and in which parts of the home.You may want to break down your budgets by how much value that room (kitchen, bathroom, etc.) brings to the overall worth of the home. Some rooms, such as the kitchen, won’t give you as good of a return on the home resale as others. You will also want to determine priorities when working with a budget, as you most likely won’t be able to do every house renovation you’d like, at least not all at once. Knowing what is easiest and gives the best return will help guide this list.It’s also a good idea to check in with your finances regularly and make adjustments as you over- (or under-) spend. A spreadsheet with expected and actual expenditures will keep everyone on the project in the loop as well as hold you accountable.
- Look for smaller cosmetic changes: Before determining that entire fixtures or appliances need to be replaced, look for what just needs a touch-up. For example, kitchen cabinets may only need a new coat of paint and new hardware rather than being entirely replaced. New interior room doors, including interior sliding doors, can give a cosmetic boost and help enhance a new color scheme or design. Hardware like doorknobs and hinges can either be updated with metal spray-paint or purchased secondhand from auctions to save on costs.
- Paint it: Whether it is painting kitchen cabinets, interior room doors, or walls, it’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do. Paint can make a room seem bigger, create a modern feel with an accent wall, or highlight molding and creative design. As a bonus, paint is fairly inexpensive, and you can test out multiple colors before settling on the perfect tone.
- Invest in the long term: Don’t skimp on things that are going to last and be an important focal point of the home, such as flooring. As carpeting takes a back seat, wood and tile flooring are becoming increasingly more popular, so this is a project on which you won’t want to cut any corners. Ensuring that installation is done professionally and with quality materials will increase the value of the space and last longer for you or your future buyers.
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle: Like the old adage, the three Rs are just as important for your home remodel as they are for the environment. This doesn’t just apply to repainting cabinets or repurposing shelving; this also means going to salvage lots, thrift stores, and garage sales to find what you need. Great new and vintage fixtures and furniture can be found for incredible prices at estate sales and auctions.
- When in doubt, seek advice from professionals: Even if you are a general contractor or pro yourself, there may be remodeling ideas you aren’t as experienced with, such as updating plumbing or electrical work, or permits needed for a deck. There are numerous resources online, of course, and even more locally. It’s far better to pay for a second opinion on risky projects than to assume you know how to do something and find out midway through that you don’t. Don’t put yourself or your home at risk! It may eat up some of your budget, but it ensures that your home renovations are up to code and safe.
The Sliding Door Company Can Help with Renovations
If you’re ready to start house renovations, call The Sliding Door Co. for a free consultation or find a showroom near you. They can help you choose the best investment for your remodeling projects and increase the value of your house renovation!